What are You Baking? March 2024

I was thinking how I have jam that needs using, so I made a sponge cake and sandwiched it with strawberry jam. It’s Alice Medrich’s hot milk sponge this time because I kept wanting to make it after my last hot milk sponge, which wasn’t as good. I was only going to eat a half slice of this, but it’s so light and delicious that I quickly scarfed down the whole thing. Alice’s recipe truly is the best.

17 Likes

I made my third iteration of the tigerkaka today.

This was a full recipe in a 9"x5" pan. It barely fit, and took almost two hours to bake. It came out fine, but going forward, and if I’m baking a large cake, I’d like to try this in a bundt pan and see if it doesn’t speed up the baking process a bit. A half-recipe in an 8"x4" pan it takes 60 minutes.

This cake has rocketed to the top of my “favorite cakes” list based yum-factor, eye-appeal, and how well it holds up with an olive oil base.

21 Likes

The pattern looks like those humongous tongs that icehouse workers or farmers use for hauling out blocks of ice or moving hay bales.

8 Likes

Or a smiley face. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Actually I’m seeing a smiley puppy face now :smiley:

5 Likes

Ha ha. We have a dog friend with whom we meet up and play occasionally while walking at the park. He’s a white Husky. He would devour this cake in 30 seconds flat.

5 Likes

Remind us where this recipe came from ?

1 Like

I springboarded off of two recipes: Alice Medrich and true-north-kitchen.com. Original post is here:

3 Likes

My first thought was, that’s a puppy with an extra big smile! Whatever it is, the pattern is so beautiful!

4 Likes

Coworkers devoured it!

5 Likes

In using up some juice I had saved from a can of sweet potatoes; I added brown sugar, shredded apples, cinnamon and nutmeg for this creation. The finished product was a tasty & moist cake. I added some green food coloring and the last of the sweet potato juice to my butter cream frosting recipe to top it. I know “Green” is the theme for the WFD thread, but I’m guessing a little “green” in the Baking thread won’t hurt.

*** Note to mods *** Feel free to move this post to the March 2024 Baking thread once one is created. Thanks!!

16 Likes

What’s cooking in your oven as we tiptoe into spring?

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: what are you Baking? February 2024

The first BCOTM of the year is still going strong if you haven’t jumped in yet:

1 Like

Whole orange and olive oil cake, one that I frequently bake with a lot of iterations. Started out as Meyer lemon and gets many different additions. Serving this later today with pineapple ice cream and a pineapple rum sauce.

21 Likes

This cake is calling my name! :yum:

1 Like

I will rename it the Barney cake!

2 Likes

Why, thank you Ma’am!

1 Like

King Arthur’s marble rye, inspired by the thread on rye bread.

I took one major shortcut by scaling the dough and adding the black chocolate to half BEFORE the first rise. I know it’s not prudent to do this as chocolate can inhibit the yeast, but given the small amount (1 T.), and some testimony from the comments, I decided to give it a go. It worked out fine, and I got a good rise out of both halves. For the darker part, I used a slurry of black chocolate, rye flour, and water. I should note the slurry required an additional 2 T. of water not called for in the recipe, so I added a spoonful of rye flour to that half of the dough to accommodate.

The only other changes I made were to sub 40 g. of the water with pickle brine, adding 1/2 t. of prepared yellow mustard and doubling the caraway seeds from 1 T. to 2 T.

My dough temperature was up there, both from warming the liquid in the microwave and the friction from the stand mixer. I used a proofing oven for both proofs, and found things moved pretty quickly. Keep an eye on it if your dough and kitchen are warm!

I baked in a 13” Pullman pan (loosely tented with foil but sans the Pullman lid). While the dough doubled in size during the proof, there was not a lot of further oven spring.

Fun project! I’m very happy with the results. The bread has everything I wanted – a flavorful loaf with classic rye bread texture and an attractive crumb. I’ll happily make it again. We’ll be using this loaf for open-faced butterbrodt.

(Side note: I can never hear the phrase “marble rye” without thinking of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry has an interesting encounter with an old lady and snatches her marble rye – too funny!)

23 Likes

A friend loves Seinfeld, keeps watching reruns. I’ve only seen about 20%.

Anyway, he’d start to describe an episode, start laughing hard, would make me laugh hard. Just in the retelling …
I remember one about Kramer spilling hot coffee and the company was going to settle with him and offer him free coffee for life and $10,000.

Kramer went to the meeting, was informed about the free coffee, jumped up, shook hands, thanked them, never heard about the $ offer.

3 Likes