Cabbage is now cool: NYT

The Coolest Menu Item at the Moment is…Cabbage? from The New York Times (gift link).

Never thought I’d see the day that cabbage would be trendy. My grandmother has gotta be smiling from her place in heaven about this one. Pass me the halupki, please.

8 Likes

Beat me to it. I’ve seen cabbage on a lot of menus recently, so I concur. Charred, grilled, etc.

I like cabbage prepared that way - such a wonderfully savory, nutty flavor.

Cabbage and pickles are definitely “it” ingredients on a lot of menus. See also [this thread].(Which recent food trends make you roll your eyes?)

3 Likes

So are we going to see the price of cabbage shoot through the roof like they did for oxtails and tongue?

4 Likes

Charred wedge of Hispi cabbage is delish as an accompaniment to, say, a pork chop.

Place near me that I’ve reviewed, actually called Hispi, unsurprisngly has it on the menu quite often in various forms. Current menu description - “Charred Hispi cabbage with yoghurt, raisin and caper puree. Toasted almonds.”

1 Like

Cool.

Good to know I’ve been “cool” since about 7 years old.

7 Likes

Our cabbage is running right at about $.98 per pound across all kinds, organic or not.
That still makes it cheaper than green onions which are running $1.29 and up a bunch. Getting hard to make Cole slaw these days.
:wink:

1 Like

I will say, though, as an aficionado of all things cabbage, eaters beware.

Cabbage will give you farts smell like soiled diapers left out in the desert sun for an afternoon.

1 Like

Didn’t you know that farts smell so that the deaf can enjoy them, too?

2 Likes

Cook’s Illustrated article in January issue:

All their cabbage recipes:

And check this out. Brilliant books to read, learn, and inspire my travels. All of them (and they are mine).

3 Likes

And cheaper than oxtails and tongue!

3 Likes

Breakfast salad! :thinking:

1 Like

Most of Eastern and Northern Europe has known this for millennia :roll_eyes: :joy:

2 Likes

I was surprised, a couple of decades back, to realize that cabbage can be really good and sweet, especially this time of year when the weather’s not too hot. I love it. There was a restaurant here that chopped up red and green cabbage, cilantro, pepper, and some raspberry vinaigrette as a salad, and it was really fantastic. So I make it at home now, only I usually use blush wine vinaigrette because we have that here usually.

2 Likes

At least for now!

1 Like

My wife can grow cabbage. Much easier than keeping livestock. :wink:

4 Likes